Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Lisa's blog

Lisa Hyam has a wonderful blog over at http://hatetuesdays.blogspot.com/. Today she was posting about sitting at the bar with a bunch of married women she is at a meeting with, and them asking her questions about being a widow, and the opportunity she had hopefully to help them treasure the relationships they are in currently.

I had an experience like that in February. I went on a men's retreat with a bunch of guys from church, and we broke into three or four small groups - just randomly by counting off across the room. As it turns out, all four of us widowers ended up in the same small group, and all of the others in the group were married. And a lot of good stuff happened for us widowers - all of us in very different stages of life. I am the young one, and Bill the middle aged one, and Hal the old one, and I wish I remember the fourth one's name, but he had the most unique circumstances of us all.

But the main thing I remember in those small group sessions were the married men thinking about how hard life would be without their wives. About all of the little things that made being married to that woman a blessing in their lives. I hope it lasted, and I hope there are ten stronger marriages in the world now because of that weekend.

Lisa is right: we crazy widows can be a witness to the world. This time is short. This day is precious. Sieze it and cherish it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556