Sunday, July 30, 2006

can't sleep

I don't know why I can't seem to go to sleep tonight. I am yawning as I type this, but I laid in bed for half an hour without going to sleep, which is way unusual for me. Though this has been happening more frequently recently.

It was a good if nondescript Saturday. My dad came home from his week in Minnesota for a class. He does this every summer, and it is a real treat for him to meet teachers from around the country. Interestingly, this was the first time he was the longest-tenured teacher in the group. I guess that will happen when you are about to start year 35. But the main reason it is fun for me and my mom is that he comes home energized about whatever new he has seen. And energized about the new school year approaching, too, I think, and just feels more a part of the community. My dad loves places; he loves National Geographic and reads atlases just for fun and so on. I have never shared that directly; I don't much care for places as such one way or the other. I don't take backroads just to see small towns that I never would have otherwise encountered. But I do enjoy how much he enjoys it.

I am looking forward to Sunday school tomorrow. We have a good topic on tap - friendship - and I think we should have a good crowd. I have a great passage from a novel I was reading a couple of weeks ago to bring in to the discussion. More and more this class is my primary connection to the church. Though that isn't fair to say exactly. I guess what is fair to say is that when the business model is to exploit people committed to the church by asking them to accept an embarrassing salary, you cannot be surprised when people respond by lowering their committment. And that, in a nutshell, is where I am. I feel some remorse about that. But it is more disappointment than it is anything else.

Ah well. I am going to knock out a spreadsheet and then try again to go to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556