Tuesday, June 06, 2006

it really is over

Everwood ended tonight.

It was pretty much what I had expected. I even expected the Abbots to get the baby by the end of last week. They left a little drama about when Hannah and Bright would get back together, but not much.

It was an amazing run. I am sorry they never developed Dehlia's character as well as they could have. Being a single dad raising a girl into adolescence to me sounds like an interesting story. Now I guess I have to turn to Hannah Montana for that. (Though, let me say from the beginning that Billy Ray Cyrus is no Treat Williams.)

I was not thrilled with the way Andy and Nina came together. The way the Abbotts ended was perfect. What Andy said to Julia at her grave was exactly right. It mirrored so closely to what I told Caroline about my life just the other night when we were talking. The way I phrased it was that it was the most amazing and dreadful irony that my life has ever known that Becky was the one person who could always see this me. I am more fully the person she loved than I have ever been in my life, and that probably never would have happened unless she died.

How fucked up is that?

I went back and watched the first episode all over again. I think I will likely watch all four seasons again in the coming weeks. What with the Spurs done and the Royals sucking there is nothing exciting on television except the fifth night when Mussina and Webb are pitching.

The one thing watching the first episode highlighted again for me is how essential to the story Irv was. I wished that in the final scene, as the camera panned up from the town to the mountain, that they would have written something for John Beasley to say, not as the author/narrator he had been, but as the angel he was looking down with love on these people he cherished. It would have added a final statement about the beneficience of the universe that I would have enjoyed.

I can't believe it is over. But I am so grateful for this story in this time and place in my life. Sometimes I felt they were writing this just for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556