Thursday, January 12, 2006

a paragraph I wish I wrote

I have adopted this paragraph from one written by Parker Palmer:

A few years ago, my wife died. She was more than a good woman, and the months following her death were a long, hard winter for me. But in the midst of that ice and loss, I came into a certain clarity that I lacked when she was alive. I saw something that had been concealed when the luxuriousness of her love surrounded me - saw how I had relied on her to help me cushion life's harsher blows. When she could no longer do that, my first thought was "Now I must do it for myself." But as time went on, I saw a deeper truth: it was never my wife absorbing those blows but a larger and deeper grace she taught me to rely upon. When my wife was alive, I confused the teaching with the teacher. My teacher is gone now, but the grace is still there - and my clarity about that fact has allowed her teaching to take deeper root in me. Winter clears the landscape, however brutally, giving us a chance to see ourselves and each other more clearly, to see the very ground of our being.

Yeah, that just about says it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

I've been wanting to tell you for some time (me being the crazy person who PMed you about my Dad dating), that you helped me think of the situation with my Dad and his girlfriend in a totally different, and much healthier way.

I kept seeing things and thinking, "He didn't do that with Mom. He wasn't that sweet with Mom. Why not?" And it made me angry.

And then I thought about what you've shared about Becky, and how she taught you to love better. And I wondered if Mom had done the same for him.

So thank you. It's been a tough adjustment for me (and that's my problem, not his). But your sharing your story has helped me live mine a little more gracefully.

Val

1/21/2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Curtis Ruder said...

Thanks for checking back in, Val. I am glad I could help in some way for you to deal with this tough time and tough situation. I hope you will keep me updated.

Curtis

1/22/2006 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556