Wednesday, December 28, 2005

a first!

Our music minister and his wife had their first baby Christmas Day, and Joe was in the office for the first time for a little while today. Wife Sarah and baby Ellie are doing just fine, her having arrived on the very day predicted by the doctors months ago. The accountant in me is glad she was born before the year ended; that saved them thousands.

It was interesting talking to Joe and the crowd of well-wishers around him this afternoon because this is the first time someone close to me having a baby was not bittersweet. I was able to participate in the joy and excitedment unfettered by the disappointment I have that Becky and I didn't get to have another child or more.

We had decided to have another baby the month before she was diagnosed with cancer, with a "target" birthdate of Christmas 2003. (Of course, our "target birthdate for Katie was June 17, 2000, set over a year in advance, somewhat jokingly. That day was the day after the first summer school session ended at FSU, so Becky could teach summer school, and then have nine weeks off before the fall classes started. Katie's birthday is June 24, 2000. So we might have hit it closer than you think.) And since that time, the parade of cousins getting pregnant just hurt. I still have little relationship with any of my cousin's children born since that time.

But today was different, and I am thankful for it. I cannot imagine a better couple to be blessed with a baby than Joe and Sarah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556