Thursday, August 25, 2005

why I loved Becky

There was an interesting thread on the ywbb a week or so ago, and it was called something like "ten reasons why you loved your spouse." I never participated in that thread. Partly because the thought of doing so was so daunting. How could any list of any length capture an answer to this question. And then I realized that loving Becky was not ever a choice for me. I loved Becky because she was Becky and I was put on this earth to love her. I can't put it any more simply than that. I could no more not love her than I could prevent my lungs from breathing this next mouthful of air.

But I think it would be fun to list some of the things I loved about Becky. Some of them will be serious, and some of them will be silly, and I hope they all reflect the amazing and unique woman she was. I am not going to put a number on it, but just add to the list as I feel like it in the coming weeks.

So a silly one to start: I loved the way she ate the cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster. For most of the years of our lives together, Red Lobster was too expensive for us to go to often. Our anniversary or Becky's birthday, major events like that once or twice a year. And she loved the biscuits they bring you with meals. And as she would eat that first one, she would close her eyes and get the happiest smile I have ever seen. And then she would open her eyes and see me laughing at her and get embarrassed. Each time she would try not to do it, try to keep her eyes open. But she couldn't.

2 Comments:

Blogger Abel Keogh said...

beautiful entry.

8/26/2005 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shortly after my late fiance died, I wrote him a message on his memorial site listing all the things I missed about him. After writing it, I realized that all those things I missed were also all the things I loved about him. Everything from his deoderant to the hugs and kisses he gave me every night. It's been 2 1/2 years and I still miss all of it and all of HIM. Just as I am sure you miss everything about Becky. Know that Becky and Dennis are still with us, holding our hands on this "journey".

8/29/2005 3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556