Saturday, September 24, 2005

sorry for not posting

It has been a quiet week around here, hence the lack of posting.

I subbed for eighth grade history today; it was thrilling. We watched a movie so boring I couldn't imagine enjoying it, and I like documentary kinds of things. But spending an hour learning about Mound Builders in the Eastern Woodlands of the United States from 2000 BCE to 1500 CE was just boring. The guy was obviously reading from cue cards - which is understandable, for who would memorize that crap? - and the best parts were when they would compare the accomplishments of the native Americans to the Old World accomplishments at the same time. In the Americas, they were building 70 foot high piles of dirt by hand while Greece was at the height of its democracy. Let's see: a big pile of dirt or the Parthenon, Plato and Aristotle, Pythagorus and Euclid, democracy. Then they would compare the big piles of dirt during the Dark Ages. Last time I checked, even in the dark ages, the Europeans could write and had wheels. I mean, sheesh. And the film was doubly bad because everything was so speculative. Because there is no written record of the time, they really have no clue why they built this big piles of dirt. Could be astronomical - a la Stonehenge - could be religious, could be to have a lookout for coyotes.

Katie met the new girlfriend for the first time tonight. We went to Shanghai - Katie and my favorite Chinese place in town. It went well. Cathy was nervous as all heck - I offered to have sex with her beforehand to calm the nerves, but she declined (sigh) - but it all went well. Katie is such an easy child to get along with. She is so smart and personable and funny and charming. And then we came home, and Katie went over to a friend's house - they invited her over having rented the Muppets Wizard of Oz - and we watched a couple episodes of Everwood's first season.

When, oh when, will the second season be released? That is easily the best show on television. I can't even think of what would be second place. It is just amazing. Please, whoever is in charge of this, get the second season out!

I finally had a good day of poker yesterday after a bad run. Two tournaments, and I won 28 bucks in them. Not bad. Today I played one after Cathy left and got all my money in after the flop with 88 - flop was all below my eights - and was called by KJ (no flush draw either) but a king came on the turn and I was toast. Win the hand, and I am in the top three or so with 15 to play, but as it turns out, I was done dealing. Oh well. I still am about $50 ahead. I am not going to be making a living doing this anytime soon, but it is fun, and hanging out with the boys while playing is awesome.

I have the Colts over the Brownies in the elimination league I am in for football. So far, I have done well with the Steelers in week one and the Eagles in week two. Both games were decided early, which is nice. Hopefully, Manning et al can get the offense out of second gear this week and end it by halftime.

And on a football related note, a Chiefs win would be HUGE this week. It would leave them 3-0, which is cool enough. But no other team in the division would be better than 1-2, and they would have two road division wins in hand. One thing to keep in mind as the AFC West plays out this year, the Chiefs have a brutal opening stretch for the season. They have all three divisional road games before they have any divisional home games. They have the Eagles first and the rest of the NFC East later. So there schedule will be favorable down the stretch, so if they can put a 2 game lead plus huge tiebreaker advantage on the division during this stretch, they will be very well placed. The Chiefs schedule is not horrible. The NFC East has one really good team - Philly - and three decent teams, and the Chiefs get Philly in KC. The AFC East had two playoff reps last season, but the Jets have already been beaten, and New England is coming to KC also. And in the other AFC games, there is a roadie at Houston and a home game with Cincy, which is the way you would draw it up, I think, if you could choose.

A great article at espn.com about Rob Nen. If you are a sports fan, especially a baseball fan, this is a must read. Eric Neel did a fabulous job.

And now I am going to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker!

This Online Poker Tournament is a No Limit Texas Holdem event exclusive to Bloggers.

Registration code: 8680556